The Cornell Men’s and Women’s Hockey Teams competed this past weekend at Lynah Rink … Men faced St. Lawrence and Clarkson to finish the ECAC regular season and celebrate Senior Night; Women played their best-of-three ECAC-QF playoffs defeating St. Lawrence in two games. Both teams recorded four-point weekends … again!
Men’s Hockey record overall is 23-2-4, 18-2-2 in the ECAC. Cornell maintains the #1 ranking in the USCHO Division I Men’s Poll receiving 37/50 first place votes above North Dakota (#2) and Minnesota State (#3) and remains #3 in the PairWise Rankings behind North Dakota and Minnesota State. Cornell finishes atop the ECAC with 38 league points and earns the Cleary Cup for the third straight season … a program first! Clarkson is second [33pts], Quinnipiac is third [30pts] and Rensselaer fourth . Home ice advantage and a first weekend [March 6-7-8] bye is assured going into playoffs. Fans wore lots of RED this weekend as the game photos show … we are looking for a “C” of RED to support the team from now on!
Women’s Hockey record overall is 25-1-3, 19-0-3 in the ECAC. The Women continue their national ranking at #1 (receiving all 15 first place votes) in the USCHO Division I Women’s Poll ahead of Wisconsin and rise to #1 in their PairWise Rankings above Wisconsin … read more here. With their win over Dartmouth, Women’s Hockey clinched their 15th IVY League title and with the win over Yale, secure the ECAC Regular Season title. Playoffs for the ECAC women’s hockey started Friday/Saturday, February 28/29 at Lynah Rink against #8 seeded St. Lawrence and the Big Red Women ousted the Saints in two games. Here are the results of the Women’s ECAC quarterfinal match-ups.
Cornell will host the Women’s ECAC tournament at Lynah Rink March 7-8 … SATURDAY semifinals and SUNDAY final. On Saturday, Cornell plays Harvard at 1PM; Princeton takes on Clarkson at 4PM. Winners play on Sunday at 2PM for the ECAC Tournament Final. As there are no Men’s games this weekend … wear RED and come out to support the Women’s Team. You can purchase women’s playoff tickets here. Not in Ithaca … view on ESPN+
Follow these links to view/download photos and review details from the recent games.
Photos: CORNELL WIH ECACQF1 vs. St. Lawrence … W 7-2; Box Score | Game Recap
Photos: CORNELL MIH vs. St. Lawrence … W 5-0; Box Score | Game Recap
Photos: CORNELL WIH ECACQF2 vs. St. Lawrence … W 3-2; Box Score | Game Recap
Photos: CORNELL MIH vs. Clarkson … W 5-1; Box Score | Game Recap
Photos: MEN’S SENIOR NIGHT
… Read Coach Schafer’s most recent game notes and comments here
A Q-and-A feature with the freshmen (9) on the Men’s Hockey team.
Links to their interviews here.
#24 Sam Malinski #20 Matt Stienburg #10 Travis Mitchell
#29 Ben Berard #21 Zach Tupker #13 Jack Malone
#14 Ben Tupker #2 Peter Muzyka #5 Sebastian Dirven
Coach’s Club Luncheon – 10th event this season… Friday, 11:45AM, 3/13/2020 at the Country Club of Ithaca. This luncheon is on the Friday before ECAC quarterfinal playoffs start at Lynah Rink. Hoping for a nice early-spring day and not a March snowstorm! Please sign in your guests/spouse on the sheet at the buffet table. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. You are welcome to sit with Coach Schafer at his table at the front of the dining room. Details and directions here.
ECAC Men’s Hockey Tournament – Cornell has earned a bye for the first round March 6-7-8. As the #1 seed, the men’s team will play the lowest seed coming out of this first playoff weekend the following weekend March 13-14-15. First round and quarterfinal playoffs are a best-of-three series. More information and a downloadable playoff bracket here … The semifinal and final ‘one-and-done’ games are played in Lake Placid, NY. More information here …
BUS TRIP – Are you interested in taking a fan-bus to the NCAA Regional Playoffs? Our best guess for Cornell is placement at the Albany Regional, Times Union Center, Albany, NY on March 28-29 but other venues include Worcester, MA, and Allentown, PA. The likelihood of Cornell being located to Loveland, CO seems remote. If you are interested in taking a bus, we want to know sooner than later so reservations can be made. Contact Sue Detzer. More information about the NCAA Division I Ice Hockey Tournament here …
- Friday 7pm, March 13, 2020 – ECACQF1, opponent TBD, Lynah Rink, Ithaca, NY
- Saturday 7pm, March 14, 2020 – ECACQF2, opponent TBD, Lynah Rink, Ithaca, NY
- Sunday 4pm, March 15, 2020 – ECACQF3, if needed, Lynah Rink, Ithaca, NY
- Full Schedule/Results
- Saturday 1pm, March 7, 2020 – ECACSF#1: Cornell  vs. Harvard , Lynah Rink, Ithaca, NY
- Saturday 4pm, March 7, 2020 – ECACSF#2: Princeton  vs. Clarkson , Lynah Rink, Ithaca, NY
- Sunday 2pm, March 8, 2020 –ECAC-Final: TBD, Lynah Rink, Ithaca, NY
- Full Schedule/Results
Extras for the Lynah Faithful
- Test your recollection of Cornell players. Visit a gallery of hockey team picnic photos. How many do you recognize?
- Read, Off-the-Crossbar, a weekly column by Brandon Thomas providing readers with great insight into the current Men’s Hockey Program along with a good dose of “hockey history” to keep it all in perspective … read more here
- Over the Goal Line, A Cornell Women’s Hockey Podcast produced by WIH forward, Finley Frechette ’21, and Christopher Morales ’20 (WVBR-FM) … This podcast is for everyone, including casual hockey fans, passionate supporters of Cornell Women’s Ice Hockey, and prospective students and recruits wanting to learn more about the program … read and listen more here
- Cornell Hockey Association scarves … available now … $20 includes shipping … contact Sue Detzer
CHA Board Meetings
- Meetings are Wednesday at 7 PM in the Harkness Room, Lynah Rink unless otherwise posted.
- Any member of the CHA can attend a board meeting! Have a suggestion? Come to a meeting!
- Next meeting … April 1st, 2020 (really)
Feel free to pass along these links to any and all fans and friends of Cornell Hockey
Want to support Cornell Hockey? … Join the Cornell Hockey Association here
If you have any difficulty accessing these links, please let me know.
If you believe you have received this notice by mistake, or long longer want messages from the CHA, please contact us by return e-mail.